According to Ayurveda, our skin reflects the health and balance of our body. Acne is one of the most common skincare concerns that seems to show up in an unpredictable manner. It is widespread amongst younger people but can extend until the age of 50 and beyond. Most often, acne is caused by the excess production of oil from the sebaceous glands that leads to the blockage of hair follicles. The conventional response to acne has been to use topical applications and hope for the problem to disappear, but the results are mixed.
A Holistic Approach
Ayurveda views the incidence of acne from a holistic standpoint. The treatment and management of acne looks at identifying the root cause. According to Ayurveda, acne is the result of over-active Pitta dosha that leads to inflammation of the follicles and the breakout on the skin. The hot and fiery nature of Pitta should be calmed to decrease the acne breakouts on the skin. Some helpful lifestyle and skincare tips are shared below –
A holistic Ayurvedic approach combining lifestyle and skincare tips can be very helpful in managing and preventing acne.
- Eating a healthy balanced diet with fresh produce
- Avoiding spicy and oil preparations
- Increasing the intake of natural antioxidants from warm teas, dried fruits and herbs
- Drinking unsweetened warm water with lemon to promote cleansing
- Preventing constipation by moderating the quantity and schedule of eating
- Incorporating light exercise and yoga in the daily planner
- Getting adequate sleep
Follow a gentle and calming regimen that incorporates Pitta-pacifying Ayurvedic ingredients like Santalum Album (Sandalwood), Melia Azadirachta (Neem), Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) and Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera)
- Start with gentle cleansing and exfoliation with the Sandalwood Cleanser or the Gentle Gel Cleanser
- Use the Neem and Aloe Vera Tonic to calm the skin with a refreshing mist
- For spot treatments and oily T-zone, try the T-Zone Oil Control Treatment
- For daily moisturization, use the Cornflower Oil-free Hydrator
A combination of lifestyle choices and the right mix of skincare can be very helpful in managing and preventing acne.
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"